Pemberton is the practice of Taylor Pemberton, a New York City based product designer, creative director, and founder. ⤵
Through my studio, I partner with established technology companies, growth-stage startups, and independent artists.
I’m interested in building thoughtful products and businesses that spark change and challenge the status quo.
I’m currently consulting with Spotify to design new software products for artists and labels.
Q: What type of projects are you looking for?
- Building a mobile or web app from scratch
- Leading design on a digital product, pre- or post-launch
- Naming and/or building a new brand identity from scratch
- Designing/developing an eCommerce or marketing website
- Expanding, redesigning, or tweaking an existing graphic identity
- Concepting and executing a 360º product launch campaign
- Providing creative direction for strategic company bets
Depending on company size, I feel best leading projects as a senior designer or helping manage bigger scopes of work as an executive-level creative director.
Q: How do you set yourself up for success?
I look for companies who prioritize user research supported by a lean development process. I’m drawn to project’s whose stakeholders have strong self-awareness, domain expertise, and business ethics.
Q: Studio, consultancy, firm, agency?
Pemberton fluctuates like most services-based businesses. Once a larger team, I’ve since scaled back to focus more on an independent consulting model. This allows a much closer working relationship with stakeholders and founders.
- 2013-2015 (5 people, New York)
- 2015 (Sabbatical)
- 2016 (2-3 people, remote)
- 2017 (Independent, Chicago)
- 2018 (Independent, Los Angeles)
- 2019 (Independent, New York)
For larger projects and budgets, we can talk about building/scaling a team if needed.
Q: What does your consulting setup look like?
I offer one-off consulting services when a client needs help with:
- Guiding an existing design or creative team to fruition
- Fundraising for pre-seed, seed, or series A scenarios
- Helping lead workshops and defining product roadmaps
- Company culture, hiring, and team build-outs
- Auditing an existing process or project timeline
- High-level business and brand strategy
Q: Where are you located?
Pemberton (the studio) is based in downtown Manhattan, but I occasionally travel for project kickoffs, workshops, sprint planning, presentations, and post-mortem reviews. I also believe in working remote, especially if a team’s process is firmly developed.
Q: How do you price projects?
For project-based scopes, I quote based on time and value. For longer, retainer-based scopes, I quote based on % bandwidth for several months or quarters at a time.
For larger projects, I’m only able to work with budgets of 65k or above. I’m sometimes open to discussing equity as a supplement to cash, but only if team dynamics feel especially positive. If you’d like to discuss smaller, one-off projects, please get in touch.
Since quoting projects can take considerable time and effort, it’s best to meet after you’ve defined a ballpark budget and timeline for our intro conversations.
Q: What does 'venture' mean on this website?
Venture refers to early-stage environments where Pemberton has helped create the business model or concept itself, or has been involved in the go to market phase of the project. Venture implies that Pemberton either: a) has partnered as a stakeholder in the founding team, b) has been brought in to help round out an existing ground-up team, or c) created the entity ourselves.
→ Related, I may be interested in making an angel investment or serving as an advisor.
Designing the initial prototype, to testing, launch, and post-launch.
- Full design and direction
- Initial proof of concept/MVP
- Wireframes and prototyping
- Fully responsive web design
- UX/UI design systems
- Experiential design
Your company’s heart and soul, offering design and guidance at various stages.
- Company naming
- Creative direction
- Brand identity design
- Art direction for photography
- Key messaging and narrative
- Landing page design/development
- Visual campaigns: digital and OOH
Founders helping founders, I’ll embed as an extension of your team.
- Iterating on product market fit
- Customer research and testing
- Recruiting and team build-out
- Fundraising and pitch decks
- Go to market strategy
- General consulting